Sunday, February 17, 2013

ONE Year!

It really is hard to believe that I am still standing, in one piece, after this first year of Lyra's life!! Seriously, I know for a fact that there were definitely more hard times than good times, but I guess that's to be expected during the first year of motherhood. Man, if I had only known then what I know now...right?!? Now, looking back, everything I thought seemed so difficult in the beginning seems so simple now and I only wish we were back to those easy days.

My life has definitely changed in every way I never knew possible. The physical, mental, and emotional exhaustion is the most difficult, but thank goodness the reward of finally knowing the joy of a mother's love makes it all worth it. At the end of a very, very hard day with Lyra, I still love her more than anything I have ever known.

I remember the day she was born like it were yesterday and I know I will say that each year of her life! Man, do I have a TON of stories to tell her when she grows up! lol. Lyra has definitely been a handful and a half, but she can also be the cutest baby on earth. The tantrums have already begun and I can already tell that toddlerhood is not going to be pleasant, but I'm ready for her. I saw a sign the other day that said something that ended with "every time I open my mouth, my mother seems to come out" or something like that...and it's true. It has been an extremely tough first year of motherhood without my mother, but I spent enough time with her to have her discipline skills embedded in my head. lol. I just KNOW my mom is laughing at me and will continue to do so until Lyra has her own children and then I can laugh at her!

Lyra had her one year check up on her actual birthday, so sadly she had to get a few shots that day. Good thing she won't remember I ever did that until I tell her! She is never a good patient, always freaks out once other people start poking her. I was also a terrible patient as a kid, so I guess this is my payback? But, she survived as usual and is back to smiling by the time we leave. She weighed a whopping 14 1/2 lbs and was 28in long. Her doctor is terrific and continues to reassure me that her size is nothing to be concerned with and she is simply her mother's child! The doctor also gave me the green light to start her transition to whole milk which we have already done. I was able to do it in just TWO days because she never showed signs of hating it, so my progression of adding milk to her formula bottle was very quick. The challenge will now be to transition the bottle to the sippy cup. She has been using a sippy cup for a while, but only with juice or anything other than milk. I can tell she associates her milk with the bottle and it's her go-to "comfort", so it's going to take some time. I made an attempt the other day, but after almost two hours of fussing, I couldn't take it anymore, and I caved in. I keep thinking she will eventually give in after enough time of fussing, but she is definitely persistent in her own efforts!

Lyra has been learning so many new things that I probably won't remember them all as I type this. I am always amazed and impressed with how she learns new skills without watching anybody. She is an only child who spends her entire day with just me and gets little time with kids her own age, so I assume it's all learned by instinct. She has learned so many new skills lately that I know I won't remember them all as I type this...

*Crawling is her main source of mobility, but will walk when her hands are held
*Pulls herself up while holding on to anything, especially my legs, ugh!
*Says -dada, -dadeee, and -nanna
*Waves hi and good bye
*Wears size 6 month clothes and size 2 shoes
*Her first tooth is finally starting to make an appearance, uh oh!
*Drinking milk, juice, and eating solids
*LOVES macaroni and cheese...that's my girl!
*Sleeps through the night, but wakes up around 6am :(
*Favorite cartoon is Doc McStuffins
*Claps
*Prefers to be in just her diaper, no clothes
*Naps twice a day, finally got rid of the third nap
*Learned how to turn my phone on and unlock it
*Loves to be around other kids and play
*Still hates her carseat
*So far a picky eater, not a fan of very textured foods


I can't believe she was once this tiny little baby! I could just stare at this picture all day and reminisce of those first three days!
February 12, 2012
 And now...what a cutie patootie she has morphed into!

February 12, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment