Tuesday, February 19, 2013

Lyra's 1st Birthday Party

I thought I did pretty well for this being the first time I have ever hosted a kid's birthday party. I was so exhausted by the end of it, but it was worth it to give my little girl a special day. I had started planning and crafting at least a month in advance and surprisingly I never procrastinated. I made a few of the decorations myself and made the cupcakes myself as well, so I was able to save some money with just that. I got the rest of the decorations at party city.

It took me a little while to decide what theme I wanted to have. I'm not a "pink" fan and most girl birthday decor is pink. I'm also not really into princess themes and Lyra is too young to be attached to any kind of character, so I decided to just keep her theme from her bedroom...purple elephants. Next year she will be able to decide what she wants.

I was trying to avoid having the party at our house because we had just moved in less than two months ago and I wasn't sure if I was going to have the house looking decent enough to host a party, but my "nesting mode" kicked in and I was able to get it done. I also wasn't sure how I would feel about handling the stress of hosting a party with so many people. I typically stress over keeping the house clean when just a few people are over so I knew I would have to allow my house to be a little dirty until after the party. lol. I had never hosted a large party before, so I was nervous about that. There were definitely hectic moments once everyone arrived, but it was great to see everyone. I wish I had had time to chat more with everyone, but I guess that's to be expected when you're trying to keep your one year old entertained and happy and keep the party moving in a timely manner.

Next year, we will definitely have Lyra's party somewhere other than the house, so there is less work on my part. I will have another 1st birthday to plan for and host at the house a few months after, so that will be more than enough.

Stayed up late the night before making cupcakes FROM SCRATCH!

I made the cupcake toppers!

The banner I made

The high chair skirt I made from tulle

I was very proud of these cupcakes and they tasted really good too!

The set-up...Wish I had better lighting to see this pic better

A little closer look


I made this sign and hung it on the front door

Valentine roses Aaron gave me made for good table decor, along with the crafts I made

Family pic 



Having a snack

Time to open presents!






She was SO excited about Minnie!





Cake Time!

She never went all in...was very clean about it! lol

Playing with her buddy Teddy
Loves to pick the flowers outside

Finally crashed for a nap!


No comments:

Post a Comment